In September 2023, CALSTART announced a second wave of available funding for its Communities in Charge EV charging incentive program. Programs like this provide much-needed funding for multifamily communities, schools, workplaces and more to deploy reliable EV charging infrastructure throughout the state of California.
According to the program:
Communities in Charge is California’s market-accelerating, light-duty electric vehicle (EV) charging incentive project funded by the California Energy Commission’s Clean Transportation Program, implemented by CALSTART, and supported in partnership with GRID Alternatives and Tetra Tech. Communities in Charge is designed to transform EV accessibility, rapidly catalyze new markets, and swiftly deploy Level 2 EV charging stations.
What is Level 2 Charging?
Level 2 EV chargers are most commonly found in locations of longer dwell times, like multifamily communities and office buildings. Drivers using a Level 2 EV charging station can typically expect to return to a fully charged car after a couple hours. Learn more about the differences in charger types here.
- Multi-family housing (5 or more units)
- Health facilities (e.g., hospitals, rehab centers, nursing homes, urgent care centers) as defined by the California Health and Safety Code
- Workplace charging, such as for small businesses
- K-12 schools, community colleges, and universities
- Places of worship
- IRS Section 501 nonprofits
- State/City/County/Municipal property lots (including libraries, parks, pools, recreational facilities, and city halls)
- Public transit hubs and mobility hubs
- Project sites for Federally Recognized Tribal Governments, California Tribal Organizations, or NonGovernment Organization Serving Tribal Entities
- Base incentive = Up to $3,500, or 75% of eligible costs, whichever is less
- Multifamily sites = Additional $3,500
- Project Site for Tribal government, Tribal entity, or non-governmental organizations serving Tribal communities = Additional $3,500
Applications will be accepted from November 7, 2023 to December 22, 2023.
Chargie is Here to Help
Interested in taking part in the program but not sure where to start? Our team of experts are available to help. We handle everything from applying to the program and submitting the required paperwork to installing and managing the ongoing maintenance and support of the EV chargers. With Chargie, property owners get a truly turnkey partner, and drivers get simple, intuitive charging. Learn more about our turnkey solution.
The places you park most of the time become the places you can charge at any time. Our 98%+ availability means you’ll return to a fully charged car and our 24/7/365 customer care provides drivers and clients the support they need at every turn.